This article reproduces the documentary “US Islamophobia Inc.”, a research project developed by Aljazeera that analyzes the rise of Islamophobia in the United States.
These rise can be attributed to different factors, of international nature (such as the rise of ISIS and its media resonance, the extension of international terrorism to the Western countries, the wars launched by the US in Afghanistan and Iraq…), as well as domestic (mainly, Trump’s presidential election and the alt-right approach he is promoting). The documentary focuses in the identification and analyzes of the organizations that are actively promoting islamophobia, through two main questions: how and why. These entail several more precise questions:
- What are the real goals these organizations have?
- What do they expect to gain with Islamophobia?
- What is the role of the media in these hate campaigns?
- Wat is the effect of these initiative on society as a whole?
- And on Muslims in particular?